Become a Trustee
Marlow Refugee Action (MRA) started in 2016 in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, as a community response to the ongoing conflict in Syria, and the struggles facing refugees arriving in Europe. It has evolved over time to become a small but thriving grant-making and awareness-raising charity.
Our aims are to:
• Raise awareness within our community about the nature of the global refugee crisis, including with schools and churches;
• Fundraise to support frontline refugee charities with whom we form strong partnerships;
• Support refugees and asylum-seekers locally.
In the last 7 years, our community of supporters have funded a range of vital projects making a real difference to refugees and asylum seekers. These have included:
• Supporting education and legal projects in Greece and the Greek islands,
• English language lessons for refugees local to Marlow
• Logistical support to move vital aid around Europe
• Part funding the purchase of an aid distribution van operating in Calais.
• Partnering with the Marlow Ukraine Collective to provide financial assistance to Marlow’s Ukrainian guests
In addition we have inspired and encouraged members of our community to take action through overseas and local volunteering with grassroots organisations, and engaged our community with positive experiences such as our Syrian supper evenings in Marlow, hosted by renowned chef Imad Alarnab.
About the role…
We are currently seeking expressions of interest from individuals interested to join our Board of Trustees. At present our Board consists of six individuals. As we do not have any paid positions, our Trustees are responsible for different portfolios according to organisational objectives and governance requirements.
We have four Trustee meetings per year but we are in contact weekly in between in order to facilitate decision-making and actions to be taken.
Because we are a small community charity, all of our Trustees are very hands-on; we work together to run fundraising events, engage with our network of supporters, handle our charity partner
relationships and engage members of our community in fundraising and awareness raising activity. It is vital therefore that new Trustees enter fully into the spirit of this approach and have the time to give to this. To that end we suggest that new trustees anticipate attending around four other events during the year.
We seek applications from individuals who are passionate about refugees and human rights. We are not looking for specific skills or qualifications – rather we are looking for energy, enthusiasm, ideas and a willingness to get the job done. It would be really helpful if you have direct and relevant experience of refugee and human rights issues from voluntary or professional roles or through lived experience. However, please do still get in touch if you don’t have this but are keen to learn on the job!
An ideal candidate would:
• Have a connection to Marlow or the surrounding area and be able to be physically present in Marlow to carry out some tasks and attend events
• Be able to commit a minimum of 2 hours per week to the role for a minimum term of 3 years (hours increase in the run up to events, particularly refugee week in June and our Annual Meeting)
• Be skilled in and enthusiastic about communicating to a wide range of audiences
• Be creative and excited about ways to fundraise through our community
• Be respectful of others.
One of our aims in 2023 is to increase the diversity of our trustee base. To that end, we particularly welcome applications from individuals from a variety of cultural, religious and ethnic backgrounds.
If you are interested in applying, please send your curriculum vitae and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed by three Trustees, one will then arrange an informal chat with you followed by a face to face interview with two trustees. At that point if your application is successful a recommendation will be made to our Board.
If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the email provided above and we will be happy to answer all your questions!